Sunday, November 28, 2010

Day 5: Crested Butte to Denver

Found a curious email while eating a delicious breakfast of Camp 4 coffee, french toast, and sausage, all prepared by my excellent host, Brian:

From: Jon (My friend from Mill Valley, CA)
Date: 9/18/10 7:48 a.m.
Subject: You in Crested Butte?

If so...... Me too! Here for a wedding - gimme a call sweet cheeks - 415-297-4710 Hope you are having a good road trip so far

I found this email curious for a number of reasons. First, how could it be that both Jon and I are in the same random tiny town at the same time? Second, looking at the "if / then" logic of his email, where would he be if I weren't in Crested Butte? Finally, why is he calling me "sweet cheeks"?

So, I called Jon, and we had a mini Bay Area reunion in Crested Butte.

After that, I said my goodbyes and thank yous to Brian and his wonderful family, and I hit the road out of Crested Butte.

The highlight of my trip to Denver was Cottonwood Pass, the road that cuts 40 minutes off the CB to Denver route, but is only open in the summer.

The highlight of my trip in Denver was the amazing dinner and conversation with my hosts Cathy, Geoff and Emily. Cathy is my friend Belle's sister, and all this was arranged through Facebook and email. Joining us were Spencer and Jenn. Spencer is Belle's son, Cathy's nephew, and my former student. You can do the math. The food was amazing, and we spent hours talking books, culture, religion, science, and politics. I think I managed to stay out of trouble. Emily also delivered a few astounding dramatic performances including some killer knock-knock jokes:

Emily: Knock knock.
Spencer: Who's there?
Emily: Pizza.
Spencer: Ooh, I like Pizza. Pizza who?
Emily: Pizza on your head!
           Uncontrolable laughter.

I will miss this family, and hope to see them next time they're in Monterey.

Coming up next is a huge day of interstate slab to the farm in northeastern Nebraska. My longest day yet ... by far.

P.S. It says "Posted from Crested Butte Colorado" below. That's a lie. I took the first photo in CB, and my blogging software is getting confused about that. It's actually posted from Cathy and Geoff's incredibly comfortable guest bed in their amazing house. Belle, you were right! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment